Friday, April 11, 2008

American soil....

America the great, the powerful, the beautiful... There are many words to describe this country we live in. I would like to say what I believe should be done in these times for this country. I will stay away from political loyalties for the sake of open mindedness, (if there is such a word.) The main thing that I want to talk about tonight, is the Americans themselves. Throughout history we can see a cycle that involves weakness, money, strength, pride and humility. Unfortunately I feel that we have reached the pride part of the cycle. I don't mean the type of pride that comes with knowing who you are and loving your country. I'm talking about the kind that creates selfishness. It's this selfishness that leads to the downfall and back to humility. With this we forget about our neighbor and care only for what we can get and do for ourselves. We of course have been known to rally as a whole to help out those in need, but only when something devastating has happened. Why can't we be there for each other on our own, just for the sake of serving someone else? In starting this was was thinking of all the many Americans who are in need of so much help. I think what we do for other countries is great and amazing, but in a way we are forgetting our own. There is much of America that is becoming poverty stricken. We are becoming a country of everyone for themselves, and it scares me. It makes me happy to see all the many things that we do for those in need, but are we doing enough? What more can we do? Of course those with power must officially bring on the changes, but we can initiate them. One kind word, one smile, one hug. Simple acts of selflessness can end the acts of selfishness. This could hopefully ease the crash to humility that we are in trouble of hitting full force. I love America and love what I stand for, I just hope I can do my part to help others "Be the change that we all wish to see."

2 comments:

Shari said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!!!!

How you doin? said...

dang shucks brett.... Your sooo sooo poetic.. na just kidding.. I whole heartedly agree.. very well said!